Once again our Capetonian runner, Wayde van Niekerk is going for gold.
South Africans have yet another reason to be thrilled as our favourite Olympic gold medalist is on the verge of breaking another record. Wayde van Niekerk surpasses expectations again as he makes it into the 400m finals for the London IAAF World Championships.
“I knew it would be a tough challenge, but to see my name in the final is a real pleasure,” remarked van Niekerk. Luckily for the athlete, there is some time for him to recover before the 400m final in London on the evening of 11 August 2017.
Van Niekerk is only the second South African to defend a world title after the high jumping double gold medalist, Hestrie Cloete in 2001 and 2003. Van Niekerk is on the verge of becoming the first man in 22 years to win the 200m and 400m gold, a feat last achieved by Michael Johnson at Gothenburg in 1995.
Van Niekerk quipped that he has some time to recover to give it his all in the final. South Africans are right behind him, with social media buzzing around his semi-final result and his chances in the final.
A few interesting facts about our South African golden gem and his career highlights;
- Current world record holder, world champion and Olympic champion in the 400m.
- World best time in the 300m.
- Silver medalist in the 400m at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- Bronze medalist in the 4x400m relay at the 2013 Summer Universiade.
- Represented South Africa at the 2013 and 2015 Athletics World Championships.
- 2015 World Championship gold medalist in the 400m race and defended this title in 2017 in London.
- 2016 gold medalist and world record breaker in the Men’s 400m, with a world record time of 43.03 seconds at age 24, beating Michael Johnson’s time of 43.18 seconds at the 1999 World Championship.
- In 2016, van Niekerk was the only sprinter to have run the 100m in under 10 seconds, the 200m in under 20 seconds and the 400m in 44 seconds.
Have a look at what happened in the Motion of No Confidence in South Africa on 8 August 2017.
Have a look at how you can make the most out of your public holidays with a few tips from us for 2017/2018
Find out why your business need social media with our top 5 reasons.
Work weeks can be tough so on a Wednesday we celebrate! It’s Wednesday and we are officially midway through the work week! The digital realm is full of interesting and engaging hashtags for this day, and we have decided
What do you choose this #ChooseDay? It’s Tuesday or Choose Day. As people we make choices all the time. From what to wear in the morning to the what to eat for dinner. From personal decisions to business decisions,
Start your week with a smile on your face and pep in your step It’s Monday morning! The start to a new week, new opportunities, a new beginning in a way… But sometimes even the most motivated and passionate