Everything you need to know about the application process
A spousal visa is an application to join a South African citizen or permanent residence holder in South Africa on a temporary visa, generally for 2 or 3 years.
Who qualifies for a spousal permit/visa?
If you are married to a South African and are wishing to immigrate to South Africa, it is possible to do so with a spousal visa. If you are in a long-term relationship with a South African partner but not married, you might qualify for a life partner visa. Spousal permits are also available for same “same-sex couples” who are married.
Spousal visa requirements:
- Your partner is required to be either a South African citizen or permanent resident.
- To acquire permanent residency, you will have to apply for a South African spousal permit.
- Applications for a temporary spousal visa don’t have any minimum period for which you need to have been married.
- Verification needed for a South African spousal visa application comprises of:
- A marriage certificate.
- Evidence of your South African spouse’s residence or citizenship.
- A support letter from your South African partner.
- Evidence of good health.
- A complete temporary residence application form.
Other points to take note of:
The South African spousal visa prerequisites apply to both heterosexual and same-sex couples.
The spousal visa only enables you to enter and remain in South Africa.
Your spousal visa enables you to:
- Establish and manage a business
- If you plan to work there’s no requirement for your potential employer to demonstrate that they have attempted to recruit a South African.
- Should you decide to set up a business, there won’t be any minimum investment amount requirements or the need to recruit a specific amount of South Africans in your workforce.
Despite the fact that you are eligible for permanent residence, you may still want to make an application for temporary residence since permanent residency applications can take as much as two years for approval.
Foreigners who’ve been married for less than five years will need to apply under the temporary residency criteria. Once married for five years, permanent residency can be applied for. Foreigners who’ve been married for five years or more can apply for permanent residency right away.
Black Pen Immigration provides free consultations to find out whether you are eligible for a spousal permit and in the event you don’t qualify, they will find out what other options you may have.
Find out what skin needling actually does.
Find out what does the Draft Intellectual Property Policy mean for your business?
Find out why experiential retail design is the answer.
Related Service Providers:
DHET Awards Dinner hosted by Dr Blade Nzimande This October, False Bay TVET College was awarded Centres of Specialisation in Rigging and Mechanical Fitting at the DHET Awards Dinner, hosted by the Minister of Higher Education and Training Dr
Leadership is changing – are business schools keeping abreast? Two internationally recognised thought leaders teamed up with over 80 contributors and, featuring a foreword from advocate Thuli Madonsela, created the most comprehensive and ‘biggest’ business leadership book ever published
The IT department’s “holy grail” Let’s face it, the IT department can do all the self-measuring and chest thumping they like, just to show how successful they are, but that only becomes true when their internal or external customers