22 November 2013
Making green from green
Most South African companies fail to take advantage of the potential that exists to make millions of Rands from recycling electronic waste. Also, by ignoring reverse logistics – which deals with the returns and proper disposal of obsolete products – companies are not only indirectly damaging the environment, but their corporate reputations.
“Companies will however only take recycling seriously once they realise they can make ‘green’ from ‘going green’,” says Joe Walden, director of the US-based Supply Chain Research Centre, who recently delivered a paper on e-waste* at the annual SAPICS conference for supply chain management professionals.
For this reason, SAPICS recognises the need to raise awareness of the potential that lies in reverse logistics related to e-waste, both for a positive impact on the bottom line and winning favour with communities who care that the producers of their favourite products are environmentally responsible. (E-waste is defined as anything that runs on electricity.)
Just how big is the problem?
No reliable figures on e-waste volumes and recycling of e-waste in South Africa are available since the law doesn’t require landfill site owners or recyclers to keep accurate records. However, according to the e-Waste Association of South Africa (eWASA), global figures predict that the average person produces roughly 12kg of e-waste annually. Only 10-15% of this is recycled worldwide while the remaining 85% is sent to landfill or is incinerated.
Lead, mercury, chemicals and other materials found in e-waste, when dumped at landfill sites can leach into the soil and contaminate groundwater. “In addition to this hazard, informal waste collectors at landfill sites may also be exposed to these dangerous substances when recovering e-waste,” says Walden. “Also, incinerating e-waste can result in toxic gases being released into the atmosphere.”
A golden opportunity
Although toxic if handled and discarded improperly, e-waste is also extremely valuable as source for secondary raw material.
“The goal of reverse logistics is to handle the backward movement of products and capture value from these products while reducing the flow of products to the landfills,” says Walden.
At South African recycling facilities, electrical products are dismantled so that their various component materials, such as precious metals including gold, indium and palladium, ferrous metals and plastics may be reclaimed. According to eWASA, some ferrous metals can be used as secondary raw materials in various manufacturing processes.
“Cathode ray tube monitors can be ground into sand and used in the production of faux marble products. The plastics can be used to build park benches and street signs and the aluminum can be melted down for use in the motor manufacturing industry,” he adds.
“This is a far better option than the practice of many developed countries to ship their e-waste to developing countries where workers dismantling products in poor conditions may be exposed to hazardous waste.” There have been some incidences of e-waste being shipped outside of South Africa for disposal, although this is not believed to be a common practice.
The way forward
“The problem of e-waste is clearly complex, but if each company, as well as the consumers who purchase their products, begin to make changes in how they handle their e-waste or get rid of it, there is no doubt in my mind that we can overcome this challenge,” Walden concludes. “One person can make a difference if they choose to do so.’
* To download a copy of Joe Walden’s paper, ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS FROM ELECTRONICS RECYCLING AND REVERSE LOGISTICS PRACTICES, please visit: http://sapicsconference.org.za.dedi220.jnb2.host-h.net/sapics2013/index.php/speaker-papers-and-presentations?download=91:speaker-papers-and-presentations&start=20
ISSUED ON BEHALF OF SAPICS
ISSUED BY: PR Republic
MEDIA CONTACT: Juanita Vorster, 079 523 8374, email@example.com
ABOUT SAPICS – your supply chain network
SAPICS is a professional knowledge-based association that enables individuals and organisations to improve business performance. SAPICS builds operations management excellence in individuals and enterprises through superior education and training, internationally recognised certifications, comprehensive resources and a country-wide network of accomplished industry professionals. This network is ever expanding and now includes associates in other African countries.
Business Essentials is Africa’s premium networking and business directory.