AfrimatLEADERS IN JOB CREATION & SUPPLIER DEVELOPMENT
Afrimat was formed from the merger of Prima (established in 1963), and Lancaster (established in 1965). This long history of experience in the mining industry has led to Afrimat having a strong foothold in the supply of materials including aggregates, concrete products (bricks, blocks and pavers), readymix, industrial minerals and iron ore, as well as contracting services comprising mobile crushing, screening, drilling and blasting.
Afrimat is listed in the ‘Construction and Building Materials’ sector of the JSE Main Board and consistently delivers solutions from major infrastructure and construction projects for public sector and government-owned enterprises through to small private sector contracts.
Its experience and the reliable delivery of flexible solutions supports Afrimat’s commitment to sustainable social and economic development, especially in the communities in which it operates. Skills upliftment programmes are in place, community development projects are continuously delivered, and direct black ownership has been escalated, in order to ensure real and tangible transformation.
Environmental conservation also forms a key part of Afrimat’s growth strategy. Its environmental footprint is managed through formal Environmental Management Programmes, in line with local and international best practice. As a result, Afrimat is now well-renowned in the industry for its active commitment to environmental conservation and protection.
Finally, Afrimat prioritises the health and safety of its employees. An extensive Health and Safety Policy is in place and the company’s Safety Committee constantly researches new technological advances in order to maintain a superior safety standard throughout the group’s operations. Ongoing training takes place and an HIV/AIDS awareness drive is also in place.
Services We Offer
Afrimat is involved in open pit mining, processing and the supply of a broad range of industrial minerals and materials to an assortment of industries across southern Africa. In addition, Afrimat supplies related concrete-based products. Key services include:
- Aggregates – using primarily stone, gravel and sand with a wide variety of sizes and technical specifications. Afrimat’s proprietary commercial quarries are located in eight of South Africa’s provinces and in Mozambique.
- Industrial Minerals – supplying the steel industry with metallurgical dolomite; the construction industry with a variety of aggregate products; and the agricultural industry with agricultural lime. Quality mineral products are supplied to various niche markets such as manufacturing industries producing chemicals, filler, glass, paint and food products.
- Commodities – focused on supplying quality iron ore to local and international markets.
- Contracting International – operating internationally through a mobile hard rock crushing service. Afrimat offers a full package of drilling and blasting solutions for the construction and junior mining industries.
- Concrete Based Products – manufacturing concrete blocks and bricks mostly used in the construction of affordable housing. Concrete is supplied primarily to large-scale civil engineering and infrastructure projects through fixed and mobile readymix plants where concrete is batched on demand and then transported to site by concrete mixer trucks.
Quality assurance and in-process quality control is ensured by constant monitoring and evaluation. This is done through a computerised maintenance strategy that is focused on absolute reliability and minimum downtime.