Liberty Two DegreesABC OF BEE
About Liberty Two Degrees
Liberty Two Degrees (L2D), a precinct focused, retail centred REIT, co-owns a quality iconic property portfolio of South African assets that are primarily retail focused namely; Sandton City, Eastgate Shopping Centre and Nelson Mandela Square in Johannesburg and Liberty Midlands Mall in KwaZulu-Natal among others across South Africa.
As a significant contributor to the South African property sector and the economy, L2D is committed to positively and ethically transforming the sector by creating an empowering culture that enables sustainable outcomes and meaningful opportunities for all South Africans. L2D supports the Property Sector Charter’s efforts to promote a vibrant and growing property sector that reflects the South African nation, contributes towards development and the establishment of an equitable society.
The Property Charter identifies that transformation in the property sector remains a challenge and L2D is committed to addressing these challenges. Since listing in 2016, L2D has actively promoted transformation in its long-term sustainable growth action plan and continues to place emphasis on the importance of managing plans effectively, having implemented several initiatives to ensure its contribution to a positive turnaround of the sector’s current trends.
These initiatives aim to ensure that L2D:
Engages in programmes that make a difference in positively transforming the sector, with a particular focus on the elements that present a constant challenge. These include:
- Engages in programmes that make a difference in positively transforming the sector, with a particular focus on the elements that present a constant challenge. These include:
- Appointments to the L2D Board in line with gender diversity and transformation initiatives, as well as to the executive management to close the Management Control and Employment Equity gaps;
- Upskilling the youth in South Africa through internship programmes to close the Skills Development gap;
- Upholding its integrity and commitment to advocating the very principles of fair and just business practices in its procurement initiatives; and
- Supporting small black owned businesses to close the Enterprise and Supplier Development gap
- Makes a purposeful contribution that to all stakeholders.
In addition to its commitment to the Business Leadership South Africa and B4SA #Payin30 initiative to pay suppliers within 30 days, one of the key challenges that L2D aims to address is the lack of entrepreneurship and business skills which predominantly impact black owned entities that struggle to take their businesses from survivalist or micro-level to sustainability. To aid in addressing this challenge, L2D has partnered with Akandi, an office solutions entity to supply workplace furniture for the new L2D office. Furthermore, L2D has provided resources in order to propel the Akandi business forward from an enterprise development perspective and aiding in taking the business to a sustainable enterprise.
L2D believes that the industry embraces the possibilities that are presented, as well as the opportunity for the sector to change the lives of South Africans.