MNS AttorneysABC OF BEE
About MNS Attorneys
MNS Attorneys is one of South Africa’s leading black-owned law firms, with expertise across a wide range of disciplines.
Formed in 2002 by founding partners Mncedisi Ndlovu and Tshiamo Sedumedi, MNS prides itself on providing top-quality legal expertise in the most efficient time period and at the highest possible standards – summed up in the tag-line: “Legal expertise in your corner”.
In just 19 years, MNS Attorneys has grown into a highly-regarded and unerringly professional law firm with wide-ranging public and private sector expertise.
“Our growth mirrors that of the black legal profession and symbolises the new opportunities available to lawyers from previously disadvantaged backgrounds,” says Chairman Mncedisi Ndlovu.
“It is our belief that our growth depends on the growth of our clients and team members, and we encourage and incentivise every member of the MNS Attorneys family to continue with their personal and professional development as we continue to build a powerhouse of black legal excellence.”
The firm specialises in the following areas of practice:
- Corporate and Commercial law: offering extensive legal services in corporate governance matters, the Companies Act, due diligence, and business rescue-related matters, to name a few.
- Employment law: straddling both public and private sectors and with experience in employment policies, disciplinary processes, and labour relations forums such as Bargaining Councils, the CCMA, and Labour Courts.
- Construction and engineering law: MNS is one of the few black law firms in the country that specialises in this area of work, and has been involved in a number of capital infrastructure projects over the years, representing clients such as Transnet SoC Ltd, Airports Company South Africa SoC Ltd, and the Gauteng Department of Infrastructure Development.
- Property law: providing advice and assistance with property development, sectional title and township registers, and mortgage and notarial bond registrations, among others.
- Procurement law: the firm has extensive experience in the interpretation and implementation of all the Public Procurement Legislation Framework. The firm also specialises in the institution of judicial review applications arising from unlawful procurement processes and awards of tenders.
- Energy and environmental law: this is a growing area of business for the firm, focusing particularly on transaction advisory services in respect of energy-related acquisitions.
- Legislative drafting: the MNS team has provided wide-ranging services within the public sector, including reviewing, interpreting, and drafting primary and secondary legislation. For example, MNS Attorneys was appointed by the Department of Transport to draft the first national Rail Bill and has also participated in developing regulations in the Railway Safety Regulator Act.
- Medical malpractice: the competencies include medical malpractice and negligence claims, and prosecuting and defending such claims. The team has also advised government health departments on disputes resulting from medical treatment.
- Municipal law: the team advises public and private sector clients on various aspects of municipal law. It has worked closely with numerous municipalities on corporate governance, bylaws, institutional review, and the establishment of municipal entities
MNS has conducted numerous forensic investigations into allegations of corruption, fraud, and maladministration in the public sector. The MNS Forensic Reports are being used to assist the Zondo Commission with its mandate of unearthing state capture at State-Owned Institutions.
So, what makes MNS different?
Ndlovu sums it up as follows: “Our clients often say that the lasting impression of MNS Attorneys is our level of professionalism, and the hard work and dedication displayed by our team.
“We achieve this by focusing on three D’s: detail, determination, and delivery.
“We never compromise on quality and pay attention to detail. That is coupled with a determination to look beyond the obvious legal processes and provide innovative solutions and approaches that are right for our clients.
“And, of course, when it comes to delivery, we meet all our deadlines and ensure quality work on time, all the time.”
As a responsible corporate citizen, MNS Attorneys also has a deep-rooted commitment to giving back to society.
“We are very conscious of the fact that we have a crucial role to play in empowering our communities,” says managing director Tshiamo Sedumedi. “Our CSI focus is on the education sector, supporting high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds with basic needs, and rewarding top-performing students”.
“Our staff are also encouraged to give back to society by taking part in events such as Mandela Day and charitable giving at the end of each year. We also offer a scholarship towards an LLB degree.”
Ndlovu concludes: “As a black-owned law firm, our goal is to be the best of a new breed of legal practice and to lay down foundations that can be built upon by the next generation of black lawyers.
As we approach our 20th anniversary next year, we are more focused than ever on our goal of becoming one of the best law firms in South Africa.