Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) South AfricaABC OF BEE
About Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) South Africa
Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) South Africa, a global non-profit organisation (NPO) was established in 2012. It is one of 290 local Chapters in more than 64 countries and regions worldwide that keeps families with sick children close to each other and the medical care they need through programs like the Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room program. Over 94 percent of leading hospital partners agree that RMHC reduces stress and financial burden for families, and helps their hospitals deliver the best care possible.
In 2013, RMHC South Africa opened two Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital in Soweto. Up to date these Family Rooms have served more than 30 000 families. The Family Rooms provide a place of rest and regroup for families with sick children in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and ward 66.
The first 27-bedroom Ronald McDonald House in Africa was launched in 2017 and is located on the top floor of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital. The House includes a kitchen, dining room, library, meditation room, kids playroom, tv room and teenage lounge. Ronald McDonald House provides accommodation for families with sick children to stay at little to no cost while their child is receiving critical medical care at the hospital.
In addition to these amenities, published research shows the House helps families cope better and focus on the needs of their sick child because of the support they receive from staff, volunteers and other families staying alongside them at the House.
The House started admitting families in March 2018 and has provided the vital resources to more than 100 families.
- RMHC — Mission is to create, find and support programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children and their families.
- Our vision is a world where all children have access to medical care and their families are supported and actively involved in their children’s care.
- RMHC creates a bridge to accessible health care and enables family-centered care through three core programs – the Ronald McDonald House, the Ronald McDonald Family Room and the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile.
- RMHC South Africa is one of 290 local Chapters in 64 countries and regions worldwide.
- All RMHC-operated and supported programs, enable family-centered care, provide a bridge to quality health care, are a vital part of the health care continuum and give children and families the time they need to cope better together.